The Hills Are Alive...
Music Ensemble Highlights
From Vancouver to Victoria, our music ensembles have been on road trips this term garnering kudos and informative workshop instruction from international adjudicators, yet still taking time to do charity events.
Here are some of the highlights:
1. A concert for a Syrian refugee fund and the local food bank involved all our ensembles the day after charity work day.
2. At the Kiwanis festival in Richmond, the choirs received excellent adjudications. The wind ensemble received a silver ranking.
3. At the Victoria Festival for the performing arts, the women’s choir received provincial delegate nomination, performed at the highlights festival, and won the “adjudicator’s choice award for “female vocal choir”. The men’s choir was highly praised by the adjudicator who was incredulous that this was our lads’ first year as an ensemble. Both the composition rock band and guitar ensemble won high praise, and the guitar ensemble won the “intermediate ensemble award” and will perform tonight at the festival highlights concert at the university of victoria.
4. The jazz band performed at the West Coast Jazz Festival receiving an “excellent silver”.
5. And yesterday at the Vancouver Island band and orchestra festival, our strings ensemble received the highest accolade of “superior”.
We will let you know shortly how many of our ensemble qualify for the nationals in Toronto next may.
My personal thanks to Mr. Newns, Mr. McGill and Mr. Clausen for the wonderful inspirational leadership they give our musicians.
Mrs. Edna Widenmaier, Director of Arts